a blog for my short and long-term memory loss




Friday, July 22, 2011

My Grandmother's 85th Birthday

My precious grandmother, Wilma McKinney turned 85 on July 8th. The kids and I made the trip to Bowling Green, Ky via Clarksville to attend her party. This is my dad's mom. (Interesting Fact: Her real name on her birth certificate is Willie, not Wilma. She told me that her dad was wanting a boy, and even though she was a girl, still chose to name her Willie. Hope she doesn't mind me sharing that:)

I remember one time when I was about 11 years old, my grandmother stayed the night with us and we slept together in my bed. I started asking her all kinds of questions about what life was like when she was a little girl. She told me all about using lye soap to take baths, how they washed their clothes, and all kinds of other interesting facts. Then I remember her realizing just how much things had actually changed during in her lifetime.

She had 12 children, and I don't know how many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren, but a whole bunch! I don't know if she knows either:)

When I was researching how to make my own butter, I called her to pick her brain. She told me how she used to make her own butter "patties" and imprinted little flowers on the top. She also told me that she would store it in the freezer and people would come from Michigan, Indiana, and the Carolinas to buy her butter. She sold it for a dollar a pattie.

Nobody can cook like grandma! If you ask her for a recipe, be prepared for a dab of this and a pinch of that. I guess real cooks don't use measuring cups. Everything she makes turns out yummy!



Grandma on the right, my Aunt Sherry in the back



Cousin Reagan holding Cousin April's baby Josie



Aunt Claudine, the host of the party!




Anna Lea had a rough day...she ran into the corner of a counter and cut herself right above her eye, then she was stung twice...but she made it! She is a tough cookie!







Layla playing at the party, it was HOT!










No comments:

Post a Comment