a blog for my short and long-term memory loss




Friday, April 8, 2011

Follow Your Heart???

Here recently I have heard quite a few different people say or quote things like this: "I guess I will just follow my heart," or "I'm going to let my heart lead me". I even heard these lyrics from a song on a children's TV program, "...listen to your heart...". These little sayings that have been passed along sound very safe and comforting. But, are they true?? Would you consider it good advice to give someone?? Maybe this verse from Scripture will help you make a more informed decision... Jeremiah 17:9 says it like this, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" (English Standard Version) So, maybe telling someone to trust their heart would not be such good advidce after all. Maybe our focus should be on the One who knows our hearts and warns us about how deceitful it is. If we truly want (and we may not be at this point yet) to do what is best for ourselves, shouldn't we look to the One who loves us with unconditional love and knows and wants what is best not only for us, but for everyone else?? If we find ourselves in a situation where our heart is leading us one way and our head another, perhaps we should stop and pray this prayer, "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievious way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" (Psalms 139:23-24 ESV)

1 comment:

  1. I loved your post! I was just talking about the same idea to my REAL girls group a few weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete